The configuration of the borehole is defined by a good number of aspects, with the most crucial among them as follows:
- The type of the site: whether a single well or well cluster is planned to be built;
- The drilling obstacles
- The location of the filter (vertical, inclined or horizontal).
The configuration of the borehole should provide:
- High quality of operation;
- Minimum load on the drilling equipment during tripping operations;
- Free passage of instruments and devices through the borehole;
- Reliable operation of downhole equipment;
- The ability of applying the methods of simultaneous operation of multiple horizons in multilayer deposits;
- The minimum cost of works.
When drilling directionally the profile of boreholes should have a predetermined grid of field development as well as an economically rational number of wells in the area. The aim of directional drilling is to hit the calculation downhole in a predetermined point of the reservoir. As a rule, this point is set on the roof of the producing formation and is the center of range of tolerance.
Directional drilling is successfully applied in a variety of industries and appreciated by industry experts for:
- Broad range of usage – oil and gas excavation in industrial, residential and natural areas;
- Savings of land and forests allocated for the construction of a drilling station;
- Cost savings for the construction of foundations, access roads, power lines, communications and pipelines;
- Reducing the cost and time for construction and installation;
- Effective in case of mounting sinking shafts on oil reservoirs, lying under salt domes, due to the difficulty of drilling: erosion of salt deposits, the deterioration of the mud, lost circulation, cutting rock drilling and casing, stuck pipe due to the formation of crystallization coat, etc .;
The basics of directional wells design
Design configuration of directional wells implies selecting the type and profile view, in determining the necessary parameters:
- The depth and wellbore deviation from the vertical;
- The length of the vertical section;
- Limiting values of the radii of curvature and zenith angles of the borehole in the range of installation and operation of downhole equipment, design and depth.
The directional wells configurations are selected according to:
- Purpose of the well;
- Geological and technological features of the wiring;
- Establishing restrictions on the zenith angle of the borehole in the range of installation and operation of downhole equipment associated with its design features and operating conditions;
- Limits on the angle of the borehole depth.
The project for the construction of directional wells drilling includes all the standard aspects for the process: geological and technical-technological substantiation of the coordinate space of emplacement and target depth, well and filtering construction, surface equipment and drilling tools, drilling modes different intervals, technology of productive layers and completions opening.
The entire cycle of project implementation can be carried out by a single company: thus, if you are looking to delegate directional borehole drilling, consider the option of partnering with European Geophysical Services. The savvy geophysics business, boasting a talented and proficient staff as well as an affordable pricing model, is involved in Wireline logging for more than 10 years, demonstrating decent results and making hundreds of customers happy.